So, you know those really annoying Facebook posts that start with "I'm thankful for…" and after the 348th one, you're like, "If I see one more, I'm going to gouge my eyes out,"? Yeah, well I'm about to get really annoying…but hopefully less so because a) this is not Facebook and b) I'm warning you beforehand, so that if you could care less about what I'm thankful for you can just move on with your life, no hard feelings.
But first, let me preface my list with why this is important to me. My life has never been more busy and complicated and difficult but at the same time, I've never felt like I had more to be thankful for. In the past year, and more specifically in the last couple of months I've learned this: life is hard. Being a good wife, and a good mother, and a good friend, and a good teacher, and a good (fill in the blank) is hard. But if you don't take time to stop and be grateful and appreciative for what you've been given, it's freaking impossible. So, I've been trying to stop. breathe. and give thanks. Not just during the month of November but everyday. I've been given so much more than I deserve that it's hard to put into words the gratitude I feel but God knows because I tell Him daily. And hopefully, some other people will read this and then they'll know too.
So, here goes my list.
1. I'm thankful for a God that loves and will continue to love me when I've done nothing to earn it. No matter my past or my future, His love is constant and I couldn't be more grateful.
2. I'm thankful for a husband who loves and supports me unconditionally. He is my rock and I know without a doubt he was put on this Earth for me. I am amazed at how my love for him continues to grow each day.
3. I'm thankful for my children. Both Weston and our little one on the way (more on that another time). Being a mom has taught me more about myself and what I am capable of than I could have imagined. Watching our little boy grow and learn has been one of the biggest blessings of my life. I love him more than I ever thought possible. So much so that I worry my heart isn't big enough to contain this much love for two.
4. I'm thankful for my family. I am so blessed to have been raised by parents who put family first. And to have been so close to all my grandparents and aunts and uncles and cousins that they might as well have been parents and brothers and sisters. These are the people who taught me about God, love, respect, hard work, good manners, and all those other important things that I see lacking in most of the students that come through my classroom. I pray that my own kids will feel the same way about our family as I do.
5. I'm thankful for my church. I am so glad to have found a church family that challenges me to love more, do more, give more. I am growing so much in my faith and I know that is why God led us here. I can't wait to see what He has planned for us.
That's it for now. But I encourage you, when you feel yourself get so busy that you don't know how you'll get it all done or so aggravated that you're ready to bite someone's head off. Stop. Breathe. Give thanks for what is good in your life. In my case, it always makes things better.
And since this has been all boring words and no cute pictures, here is one of our little turkey:
|Weston - 12 months|